Pages

Floating

My dad taught me to swim when I was five. First he taught me to float. He took me out in water over my head and, with his hands holding me up, he laid me down on the surface of the warm water. Slowly he took his hands away. I sank, water went up my nose. I  came up crying. I had to sink a quite few times before I got the hang of it.

I learned that floating is mostly about not getting scared and tensing up. When I finally learned to completely relax and let the water support me, I could float forever, just looking up at the sky, feeling the water tickle the inside of my ears.

That's the best image I have about life on life's terms. Floating without fear in the warm water and bright sunshine. Not clinging to anything. Letting the current carry me wherever it may. Totally at peace -- trusting.