Pages

Step Six

In his opinion, the good doctor states that unless I experience an entire psychic change (spiritual awakening), there's a good chance I will drink again. He goes on to say that "something more than human power is necessary to produce the essential psychic change." I've come to believe the dynamic action of the twelve steps deflate ego and make space in my being for HP to enter consciousness and change me at depth. This process does not happen without my cooperation. I must show the universe I really, really want to be changed by continuously practicing AA's simple program of action. I don't get to pick and choose which suggestions I want to take. I need to work every part of the program - meetings, steps and service-if I sincerely want to be changed.

Because Step Six asks me to aim for perfection, the practice of this step is a powerful indication of my willingness to be changed. When I practice Step Six I grow in awareness. I get a glimpse of the truth about myself. I wake up from the dream of me to the reality of We. Yet, the practice of Step Six is the easiest for me to leave in the dust when my life is good.

I let up on my Six Step practice when I begin to enjoy a few crumbs of happiness.  I stop paying attention to myself, witnessing my character defects and becoming ready for their removal. Taking my own inventory is a downer (I'd rather take yours). Besides, now that the heat is off, I've got more important things to do. Like building up the balance in my 401K. I've experienced this myself and I see this tendency in the returnees in almost every meeting I attend. It seems to be in our nature to slack off when things are good. When life becomes sweet I come to the dangerous conclusion that I've changed enough, that I'm OK. Then I try to hang out in a comfort zone, but this doesn't work for long. Ego reconstitutes itself. I push God out of the driver's seat and once again begin to steer my ship. Sooner or later most of us crash on the rocks.