Pages

Third Step Promises

The Third Step Promises read:

"All sorts of remarkable things followed. We had a new Employer. Being all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him and performed His work well. Established on such a footing we became less and less interested in ourselves, our little plans and designs. More and more we became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life. As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn." Alcoholics Anonymous p.63

When I was new, still toxic, dazed and confused, I related to the idea in Step Three that I had a new Employer who, in exchange for my efforts on His behalf, would take care of me and provide everything I needed for a happy life--just like a human boss who appreciated my contributions to his company.

Bill included a job description. If I wanted the beautiful promises of Step Three I had two jobs: "if we kept close to him and performed his work well." That's it. Even as I read it today it doesn't sound too difficult of an assignment. All I have to do to get all the gifts of Step Three is to develop "conscious contact" with the God of my understanding and to practice "love and service" as a way of life.

I realize that fulfilling the conditions of the Step Three promises is not about reading spiritual books, meditating on a mountain top, or denying myself anything. I simply need to become aware of those things that separate me from God and from my fellow men and women and make things right as best I can. Chuck C. called it "uncover, discover and discard." Just going to meetings and dumping my problems does not accomplish this. I must decide to take all the actions called for in the remaining nine steps. I must desire with all my heart to be changed at depth and I must be willing to take the actions that prove I mean it.

I certainly haven't fulfilled the conditions of "love and service" perfectly, but nevertheless I see these promises slowly becoming my reality.