Pages

Stinking Thinking

I'm pretty sure that my life today is a direct result of the thoughts I think today. Virtually every thought I think is either a recovery thought or relapse thought. So, in reality I'm consciously or unconsciously making the choice between alcoholic death or spiritual life on a moment by moment basis.

I have learned from experience that if my thoughts are consistently negative, fear, pain, sickness, and poverty result. Before my moment of clarity and AA's suggested program of recovery, my favorite expression was "life is a shi*t sandwich and it's always lunch time." My negative thinking was chronic and progressive. No wonder my life was such a mess.

Today, more than 10 years later, I still have negative thoughts. I know they are there because feelings of anger, resentment, impatience, boredom, and fear and anxiety still arise. The difference today is that, thanks to AA and my Higher Power, the MAJORITY of my thoughts today are recovery thoughts. Consequently most days turn out pretty darn good.

As one old timer used to share at every opportunity "I came for my drinking, but stayed for my thinking."